sheet metal
Home | Library | Support | Forum Home Page

Go Back   The Sheet Metal Shop > Sheet Metal Forums > Kinks

Kinks Share your tips and techniques here. The old timers used to refer this as KINKs. Thanks for sharing.

Share This Forum!  

Old 11-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Professional Member

Unhappy 28 yr old

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricer View Post
My father taught me this when I was a kid. To divide a fraction in half, all you have to do is multiply the denominator by two. For example: half of is . The denominator is multiplied by 2. I have found this to be very useful over the years especially when finding the center of a large room. This is very helpful when laying out hard tie ins in lay in panel type ceilings. Most all of the ceiling installers begin their lay outs from the center of the room.

If the room is 24- 6 3/8 wide, the math can be done quickly and the center of that dimension would be 12- 3 3/16. Almost too simple to figure and seems so obvious. I couldnt tell you how many people I have shared this with over the years that never looked at it that way. Hope this helps someone. This solution can also be worked in reverse, very useful.
I had an apprentice. On the way in from the job we got rained out on, he started to nod out on me during the trip back to the shop. It was 2:45 pm. I hit the brakes and told him "Hey man you ain't gonna be sleeping while i'm driving figure out this strech out (for a window pan we had measured). It took him about 7 mins. to add 2 5/16th plus 2 5/16th. He came up with 4 and 10/16th. He got offended when I asked him if he graduated High School. He ended up not coming in and not calling for the third time. I have a 3 strike policy. Shame, he could solder and was on his way but drugs got in the way..
Old 11-13-2010, 06:14 AM
Professional Member

How bout those sityforths...man there must be ah hundred of em.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactassdupree View Post
It took him about 7 mins. to add 2 5/16th plus 2 5/16th. He came up with 4 and 10/16th.
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_galt View Post
How bout those sityforths...man there must be ah hundred of em.
Those are good ones.
First day of trade school, they herded us into a classroom and gave us a grade 8 math test (fractions, decimals, etc.).
The instructor just wanted to see what everyone remembered.
At least 2 guys got up and walked out, never to return.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:03 PM

Default I'm getting a headache.

I'm lucky enough (I guess) to have all of the fractions up to 32's of an inch and their decimal cousins locked in my head from doing everything old school forever and then having to transfer my thoughts into a computerized brake. It makes metal working easier for sure, but my wife hates that I can't remember to do simple things around the house. I amaze myself sometimes with what I can't retain in the short term in comparison. I try to explain that, much like this laptop I'm on, memory space is limited and certain things have to stay.
On the side note; I once threw my current apprentice for a loop by asking him to give me a mark at 3 16/16 barely an hour after a brief lesson in fractions. My 10 yr. old son is better at fractions than half of the guys I've worked with.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:52 PM
Professional Member

Wink school

Yeah what in the heck do they do in school these days. And do any of your kids get half days? What is that all about. And teacher planning days. I wish I could have a planning day. No, i'd rather just keep on doin it the way i was taught by the best metalworkers that walked the planet.. dupree
Old 12-05-2010, 06:19 PM
Professional Member

Unhappy

I just think in decimals. I guess from using the computer brakes and shears. If it comes to fractions like half of 8 9/16 I just think 4 and 4 and 1/2 16ths keep it simple stupid for me.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:31 PM

when I have to divide a measurement, or number in half I do this:
say you're dealing with 39.
divide the 30 in half
then divide the 9 in half
then add

this helps me a lot when the music is playing and I've had a couple of beers

I knew about multiplying the bottom of the fraction by 2
The Following User Says Thank You to dudevato For This Useful Post:
Bud (10-07-2016)