sheet metal
Home | Library | Support | Forum Home Page

Go Back   The Sheet Metal Shop > Sheet Metal Forums > Metal Roofs

Metal Roofs
Discussion forum and information on Metal Roofs.

Share This Forum!  

Old 03-08-2017, 08:06 PM

Default Making shakes out of metal

Friend at work is wanting to use metal shingles to side his house. He has cedar siding (boards) now but would like to cover with metal. He does not want to use the large panels of metal. He was asking me if I could help him make some shingles out of galvalume that he could install like cedar shingles.

I use to have a metal (galvanized steel) roof that was embossed with a press to look like wood. It lasted about 90 years. The felt underneath dissolved over that amount of time. Started having leaks and failures at some joints. Replaced with a metal panel roof.

I was looking around and they still make metal shingles but they are expensive. He wants me to cut him out some pieces and hem the sides. Anybody here ever made their own shingles out of metal?
Old 03-12-2017, 12:20 PM
Professional Member

Not shingles, but have done thousands of feet of soffit for overhanging eaves. You would have to pan under the bottom end or use J-channel to close them off. I'd want foam backing to keep them from oil canning and help prevent dings.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:28 PM

There was an article in Finehomebuilding issue #43 that had I believe a brief description of using handmade copper shingles for a roof. I have the FHB archives on my hard drive, but the tower is in the shop or a tuneup. With some searching on the web you might be able to find the article.

Here is a site that shows the issue #43: http://healthbeauty.bid/health-care/...an-hybrid.html

MILO
Old 05-07-2017, 04:25 PM
Professional Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo View Post
There was an article in Finehomebuilding issue #43 that had I believe a brief description of using handmade copper shingles for a roof. I have the FHB archives on my hard drive, but the tower is in the shop or a tuneup. With some searching on the web you might be able to find the article.

Here is a site that shows the issue #43: http://healthbeauty.bid/health-care/...an-hybrid.html

MILO
I wonder how a guy is going to repair a shingle in the middle without a patch? I would prefer a system that allows shingles to be removed without disturbing neighboring shingles.