sheet metal
Home | Library | Support | Forum Home Page

Go Back   The Sheet Metal Shop > TheSheetMetalShop > The Grill and Bar Forum

The Grill and Bar Forum We're not banging tin all the time. Share your favorite recipes with others.

Share This Forum!  

Old 02-13-2011, 03:09 PM
Professional Member

Red face Jerky

Do any of you guys make your own Jerky? Beef what ever. We are thinking about trying to do our own. Is it difficult and can it be done out of an apartment or do I need a yard? Thanks.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:28 PM
ME

I don't, but I know of two that do - I'll get the info you tomorrow if I see either one. From what I understand, it's not that hard to do...
Old 04-02-2011, 03:59 AM
Professional Member

I've made jerky in the oven a couple of times. I used a "kit" from Gander Mountain.
It comes in a little burlap sack, "Backwoods Sack Of Seasoning"
Old 04-02-2011, 06:15 PM
Professional Member

Default Jerky good business

I know of the jerky store off of interstate 81 near Dandridge, Tenn. I think 1 exit south of that cutoff. Anyway I was in jerky heaven and bought a hundred dollars worth three weeks ago. All gone now. They had every flavor you could think of. The guy has a small operation with a few outlets and made a $4 million profit last year.
I cut mine across the grain 1/4" thick and add dale's seasoning or some better flavorings and add a little honey or brown sugar to the mix with lots of other seasonings. Lighten up on the saltiness as it tends to get stronger as it dehydrates. I've set my oven also at the lowest setting and left the door cracked open until dry, maybe a day.
It's easier to get one of those plastic tray dehydrators sold at your chain marts as it is low wattage and maintains proper temperature. Mine has 7 trays and I load it up.
When you see cuts of meat on sale get them to cut some strips for you.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:04 PM
Professional Member

Wink Jerky

Yeah that stuff is like potato chips. I can't by a bag without eating the whole thing!! dupree
Old 04-07-2011, 01:05 AM

Jerky? Hell yeah! We make it two ways, only from beef so far;
1) we will slice up a roast using the handy dandy meat slicer, some we marinate in various substances, some we salt and pepper, some are plain.
2) ground beef: We bought one of those 'Jerky Shooters' basically a caulking gun, the tube holds about a half pound of ground. The kit comes with some sachets of spice and cure, they work okay, but you can make your own too. You mix up a pound, and 'caulk' it onto your tray, by changing the tips it can be flat, about 1" wide, or round, about 5/8"
We bake then smoke the jerky, along with salmon, our own ham and bacon, tofu, cheese, almonds, whatever, in our home made smoker.
We built a large smoker from (what else?) sheet metal, 18 ga. #4 on the inside, 2" of mineral board insulation, and a 20 ga. galv. outer skin. Door is built the same, with a full length contiuous hinge, epdm bubble type seal, and adjustable stake and body latches to hold it closed. It has a 4" round s/s vent coming out the top, with a manual damper, and the smoke is piped out through the roof using a dedicated 'B' vent chimney.
SImple 1' x 1" s/s angles support baskets made from 1" x 1" x 10 gauge s/s weld mesh.
I bought a Bradley smoke generator for heat and smoke, it is tied in at the bottom on one side. For additional heat (supposed to be temporary but it works, so no rush) I installed a 300w baseboard heater, and a 400w toaster oven. There is a 1,200w oven element with control waiting to be installed some day. This whole set up is experimental, but the results have been good. The beef jerky and smoked salmon are in demand around here.
Sorry to be so long winded, but this has become somewhat of a passion for me.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:36 AM
Professional Member

Default jerky shots

Hahaha. Jerky shooter like a caulking gun sounds like a really fast and easy way to go, especially if you don't want to chew your chomp muscles till they pop!
I always heard that 150 degrees f. is the best temperature. The smoker must really give it a nice flavor. I really want to do some salmon sometime but only if I can find some really fresh. Packages of just a few ounces of that stuff is as high as gold sheets. I'm going to attempt a solar dehydrator maybe on the 1~12 metal roof top which will use a long glass covered solar collection duct trough with fine mesh metal air screen and filter. It will come to the bottom of a dehydrator box that has a damper at the top. I will have to see what temperature I get first. Should only take a long sunny day. Might even burn 'em to a crisp. Thinking about a large bimetallic spring to run the damper. Not too difficult a project as I have all the materials.
Nothing like reaching into your bag of jerky in your pocket while you're laying out some fancy head twisting stuff and chomping away at a long lasting piece of home made jerky beef.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:03 AM

A solar oven! That is an interesting idea, and I bet it would work really well. I am sure you would see 150F plus easily, depending on all the details. Be sure to make it crow proof!
Old 04-08-2011, 12:33 AM
Professional Member

Default ain't no crows man enough

They can't get through my brass woven fine mesh screen stuff I'm using or the expanded metal behind it. If the crows are trying then it must be a real good batch in there dehydrating away. As long as the air flow is enough the moisture will leave the drying house and out the vents. Crow proof too.

I'll access it either by building an inside staircase to a curbed exit door or just use a ladder to get up there. Mirrors or reflecting metals can be placed on the metal roof to direct more heat to the box if needed. I'd rather do it on the roof than on the ground because it's hot and spacious. And critter free.

I had a set up once with 8 ft x 10 ft bronze low E glass sheets properly spaced and used to dry out fruit slices out in the sunshine. Only took five hours and they were on an incline. Hail storm trashed it. Solar trough at a slight incline can generate a lot of heat for dehydration purposes. My double paned glass set in backwards will really work well for this set up.

Just need to do it. And mostly need temperature monitoring and damper control device with brass and steel coil regulator. Then make sure it's sealed from any moving critters including the tiny ones. I've got the fine mesh screen that will keep those out. Even small particle filters would work in conjunction
The heating trough is only about 30" by 8 or 10 ft. long and maybe 6" high. It generates a lot of heat buildup.