sheet metal
Home | Library | Support | Forum Home Page

Go Back   The Sheet Metal Shop > TheSheetMetalShop > The Grill and Bar Forum

The Grill and Bar Forum We're not banging tin all the time. Share your favorite recipes with others.

Share This Forum!  

Old 08-24-2010, 05:00 AM
ME

Default Not at all a cook!

Not at all a cook! But I'm working on it My wife of 30 years prepares most of the meals and I know you'd love her cooking. So maybe there are tinners out there like me that could use a tip or two...

My cooking is in the stages!
Old 08-24-2010, 05:30 AM
Professional Member

Not much of a cook either, but since purchasing a Traeger Wood Pellet Grill/Smoker last year I have been developing some skills. Never like grilling out on our propane grill, just seemed to blase' if you will. The wood pellet grill adds lots of flavor and it is really hard to screw something up.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:25 PM
Professional Member

Hi all, Good forum,this could be fun. I like to slow cook with a Texas style off-set cooker. I built it in 94 and used it alot until about 5 years ago,it just sat since then. 3 weeks ago a buddy was doing a fund raiser for Hooser Veterns Alliance Foundation,HVAF,
so we fired it up and a good time was had by all. We cooked 70 lbs of pork butt, fired off the cooker and let it burn for an hour to get a nice bed of coals. Put the pork in pans,two in each pan,applied some rub and covered.Cooked at 205 degree's for 5.5 hours.Uncover for the last hour.
Pulled the pig and added sauce. Turned out good and made some money for a great cause.That cooker has a steamer on it and it really helps keep the meat moist. We did this in down town Indlps. It was quit a sight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01148.jpg (93.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01153.jpg (94.4 KB, 17 views)
Old 08-24-2010, 04:02 PM
ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_galt View Post
Hi all, Good forum,this could be fun. I like to slow cook with a Texas style off-set cooker. I built it in 94 and used it alot until about 5 years ago,it just sat since then. 3 weeks ago a buddy was doing a fund raiser for Hooser Veterns Alliance Foundation,HVAF,
so we fired it up and a good time was had by all. We cooked 70 lbs of pork butt, fired off the cooker and let it burn for an hour to get a nice bed of coals. Put the pork in pans,two in each pan,applied some rub and covered.Cooked at 205 degree's for 5.5 hours.Uncover for the last hour.
Pulled the pig and added sauce. Turned out good and made some money for a great cause.That cooker has a steamer on it and it really helps keep the meat moist. We did this in down town Indlps. It was quit a sight.

Sounds like good eatin' and fun.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:04 PM
ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbndr View Post
Not much of a cook either, but since purchasing a Traeger Wood Pellet Grill/Smoker last year I have been developing some skills. Never like grilling out on our propane grill, just seemed to blase' if you will. The wood pellet grill adds lots of flavor and it is really hard to screw something up.
We never use propane...but the Traeger Wood sounds good too, are the pellets expensive compared to charcoal?
Old 08-25-2010, 11:56 AM
Professional Member

That's my goal for this fall/winter. Build a grill and smoker. Been checkin out alot of forums. Good ideas out there. I think I've got a good handle on it.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:14 AM
Professional Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
We never use propane...but the Traeger Wood sounds good too, are the pellets expensive compared to charcoal?
The pellets run about $1.00/lb and come in 20 pound bags. I mail order them for $62.00 for 3 bags including delivery to my door. They come in six flavors, Hickory, Mesquite, Maple, Apple, Alder and Cherry. After trying them all I stick with Hickory and Apple for most of my cooking.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:09 AM
ME

Thanks, I might look into that!
Old 09-05-2010, 05:50 AM
Professional Member

Default an oven recipe

Because of our different work schedules I do most of the cooking; the side benefit is that I get something I like! This is pretty simple and really good.
Get a piece boneless pork loin from 3 to 5 lbs, or a couple of smaller pieces. I season the top with dried sage, seasoned salt, and as much black pepper as I think I can sneak past my wife. The oven is preheated to 425 and the roast goes in for 15 minutes; the high heat seals the outside. While it's cooking make up 2 cups of chicken boullion. After the 15 minutes put the meat on a platter and slowly add the boullion to the pan---it'll boil and spit a little. If you can get some, put a layer of fresh rosemary and lemon thyme in the pan along with a bunch of peeled garlic cloves, then put the meat on top. Turn the oven back to 325. After about 1-1/2 hours of total cooking time check it with a meat themometer. It's done at around 160.
This time of year we have apples on the tree so I've been taking 4 to 6 of them, cored and quartered but not peeled (too lazy) and adding them around the meat 30 to 40 minutes before I think it'll be done. I put some sugar and cinnamon on top of them. Last time, I tried a little cardamon too; it tastes like a mixture of clove and nutmeg and the jar suggests using it in pies. It did add a nice flavor. The apples seem to help keep the meat moist and their juice blends with the boullion into a kind of sauce. Lazy again--gravy is extra work.Add some mashed potato and fresh green beans...
It's frightening to watch my kids eat. Normal families can probably get by with lesser amounts of meat, but the leftovers are good too.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Professional Member

Default building

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker12300 View Post
That's my goal for this fall/winter. Build a grill and smoker. Been checkin out alot of forums. Good ideas out there. I think I've got a good handle on it.
I think I'll try a still !! dupree

For got: Happy Labor Day to all you hard workin Mo Foes