sheet metal
Home | Library | Support | Forum Home Page

Go Back   The Sheet Metal Shop > TheSheetMetalShop > The Grill and Bar Forum

The Grill and Bar Forum We're not banging tin all the time. Share your favorite recipes with others.

Share This Forum!  

Old 09-26-2010, 05:45 AM
ME

Smile How we shop for food.

Room and board does not include the food. So my wife is teaching my daughter and Son (inlaw) how to plan and shop for meals.

They talk about the kind of meals that we were used to having and why, such as leftovers etc. We raised 4 children, we didn't waste food. So they make a list of what they would like for meals for the next week and sort through any coupons that will help them save some money even if it means changing your meal list for the week because of a sale thias week.

So they leave for the store, prepared with a list and budget. Understanding that those little extras in the cart as you walk through the store can add up to a lot of extra change at the checkout. This is why Dad didn't often go with Mom to the store, my job was to wait at the front door and carry the food in the house

(You're probably thinking - Is this story going anywhere Bud)

Well they did a pretty good job for their first time with the exception on trying to save on the meatloaf meal - which they brought ready to toss in the oven. A ONE pound meatloaf... which I had to chuckle at, because a ONE pound meatloaf to me is a snack

Meatloaf is a one of those meals that are great for left overs - 2 pan min. here - great for lunches. Nothing better then leftovers in this house/
Old 09-27-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Nothing better then leftovers in this house/
Couldn't agree more.
Funny how I'm the only one that eats the leftovers though.
I'm also the one that eats the bread crusts.
Around here, the kids don't seem to have patience for anything.
They can't even wait for toast to pop.
Everything has to be microwave friendly.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Professional Member

Its just my daughter and I and I guess we are throw back hunter gatherers...We get some fish from Publix fresh each night, run through the produce stand for the rest and grillit up.o waste no real mess just a quick dinner. We just are not good at shopping a week out...We have rice, flour for biscuits and such, spices and stuff on hand but everything else. we grab after work and school...
Old 11-14-2010, 04:35 PM
ME

Default 1st time for Pancakes

OK, so today I learned how to make pancakes we have to start cooking somewhere and this morning while my wife was asleep I decided to take a chance and make myself some pancakes - wow, how easy that was and to think all these years I never cooked - Watch-out, there's a new cook in the house.

So maybe later this week, I'll make pancakes with walnuts can you share your favorite pancake recipe with me
Old 11-14-2010, 07:32 PM

Walnut pancakes are good. So are Pecans, and dried cranberries. All 3 are better.

Kids these days frighten me. I hope by the time I'm in a nursing home they have fully automated robotic caretakers, because none of the then adults are going to be up to the job of waiting outside the bathroom while I wait for the ol' bladder to remember which way gravity is pulling.

Anyone read farenheit 451? Incredibly accurate book for todays society. Written 60 years ago.

Cooking is easy, it's all simple math, preparation, and organization. Nothing compared to running a sheet metal shop I assure you.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Professional Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
OK, so today I learned how to make pancakes we have to start cooking somewhere and this morning while my wife was asleep I decided to take a chance and make myself some pancakes - wow, how easy that was and to think all these years I never cooked - Watch-out, there's a new cook in the house.

So maybe later this week, I'll make pancakes with walnuts can you share your favorite pancake recipe with me
Did you wait for the little bubbles to pop? My daughter says that's the key.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:03 PM
ME

After two failed attempts at pancakes this morning - I settled for warming up leftover meatloaf!

Old 12-25-2010, 08:24 PM
Professional Member

uhghhhhh we have been strapped for funds and eating dollar menu crap from fast food....no offense to those who love the fare but its gross. i cannot wait to be caught up again money wise and cooking fish again....