sheet metal
Home | Library | Support | Forum Home Page

Go Back   The Sheet Metal Shop > TheSheetMetalShop > The Grill and Bar Forum

The Grill and Bar Forum We're not banging tin all the time. Share your favorite recipes with others.

Share This Forum!  

Old 01-10-2011, 06:22 PM

Default I love to cook as much as I love to eat. Try this.

I just made my coq au vin which means cooked in wine. It's basically chicken stew but it rocks.
4 chicken breasts on the bone w/ skin
1 lb baby carrots
2 med. onions cut bite sized
4 med. white potatoes cut bite sized
6 celery stalks cut bite sized
2 cups wine (any kind but I split 1 C red and 1 C white)
1 14oz can whole peeled tomatoes
SPG* ,sage, and bay leaf

Pull off the skin and excess fat from the chicken and render down in a big pot on medium heat. I have a porcelain enameled cast iron one that works great for this.
Toss the skin out once you're done.
Caramelize the onion in the chicken fat
Cut the whole toms in quarters (save the liquid from the can)
Add the veggies to the pot
Season and add wine and tomato liquid
Stir it up and nestle the chicken into the pot
Add enough water to cover the food and put on lid
Simmer on med/low for 2 hours minimum (more is fine too)
Pull out the breasts and shred the meat off the bones with a pair of forks and return meat to pot
Serve with some Parmesan cheese on top and some nice crusty bread on the side

*SPG is salt, pepper, and garlic that I make at home. Put equal parts kosher salt, black peppercorns, and dehydrated minced garlic into a coffee grinder ( I have one just for making dry rubs) and keep it in one of your empty spice jars. It's awesome on steaks and a great base to build any rub from. Add cumin, dried chiles, and brown sugar for a BBQ rub, sage and bay for poultry, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to DMNyankee For This Useful Post:
Bud (01-11-2011)
Old 01-11-2011, 08:20 AM
Professional Member

That sounds terrific. I'm going to print that for my sons so that they can add it to their recipe list. I've been having the kids alternate cooking during the week; gives me a break and is building some self-reliance in them. It's been real handy this past week. My daughter had heart surgery on the 7th and my wife and I have been mostly at the hospital. The boys have done well, except for the cleaning up part.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:02 PM

I'm not the best at cleanup either, but since I do most of the cooking my wife cleans up.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmckane View Post
My daughter had heart surgery on the 7th and my wife and I have been mostly at the hospital.
I can't imagine what you must be going through.
All the best from everyone on this forum.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:06 PM
Professional Member

Thanks, Dad and everyone. My girl is home today and ordered a roast chicken. I'm happy to oblige. Onion and herbs for stuffing, rice and gravy, cranberry sauce, spring mix salad. A bonus today was bidding a rush job at the hospital---they're also my best customer. Looks like there might be some money this month after all. But the best thing is that my girl is home.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:55 PM

Great to hear. All the best.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:09 PM
Professional Member

We're in between storms. Got the youngest son checked out on the snowblower and he did well. Now we've got some ham and bean soup going. Pretty simple. A bag of mixed dry beans soaked overnight, the bone and remains of a spiral-cut ham, a large can of crushed tomato, water with chicken boullion to cover, simmering for about three hours. If I feel like getting out of the chair again I'll add some celery heart and a potato or two. A lot of recipes call for pureeing (sp?) some of the soup to thicken it at the end but I've never bothered. Some salad, a loaf from the bread machine, some red wine....Let it snow!
Old 01-26-2011, 03:06 PM
Professional Member

Default aww

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmckane View Post
That sounds terrific. I'm going to print that for my sons so that they can add it to their recipe list. I've been having the kids alternate cooking during the week; gives me a break and is building some self-reliance in them. It's been real handy this past week. My daughter had heart surgery on the 7th and my wife and I have been mostly at the hospital. The boys have done well, except for the cleaning up part.
Really feel for you , Hope your daughter heals well.These kind of stories really eat me up inside..
Glad you are staying positive, god bless!
P
Old 01-27-2011, 03:37 PM
Professional Member

Device, I'm happy to report that she is doing very well indeed. Home, off the antibiotics, back to cyberschool and starting to catch up on missed assignments. You heal fast at 17! What she had was a bacterial infection of the mitral valve almost severe enough to mean a replacement, but the surgeon was able to repair it. I liked the man immediately--something about his handshake told me he was the right guy. Until surgery there was also the real possibility of a stroke. Very sobering stuff. Rachel was so matter-of-fact about it; said, well it needs to be fixed so let's do it. A real deep practical exercise of faith when there's nothing you can do for your child. I was rolling with it until afterwards, in the ICU. Breathing tube, chest drains, IVs all over the place. I was good until she looked at me and squeezed my fingers. I lost it; the nurse just smiled and passed the tissues. Still gets me when thinking about it. I'm having fun now feeding her all sorts of things as we try to get some weight back on. Even got her to eat greens the other day---major breakthrough!