sheet metal
Home | Library | Support | Forum Home Page

Go Back   The Sheet Metal Shop > Sheet Metal Trade Test and Certification > Canadian Red Seal Exam

Canadian Red Seal Exam Talk about the test here.

Share This Forum!  

Old 11-29-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinsmith
Well good luck then, I wrote mine back in 06 can't remember much about the test. The only one that stands out is they give you a plan view of a building's roof telling you how much of a tube of silicone will seal the flashing around the perimeter. And you have to figure how may tubes it takes. There was no answer 'E' depends on who is operating the silicone gun Biggest thing was fighting the clock, it takes the whole 3hrs. I walked out with 10 min left. there was some guys that still had 40 some questions to go, with no time left.
This sounds pretty close to 1 question I remember from the test, like I said it was way back when??
The question was how much to seal the gutter on the perimeter, the thing to think of would be that there is no gutter on the gable ends so you don't use those lengths to figure out your total. If you thought it was as simple as adding up the perimeter and dividing by how far a tube of silicon goes, you were wrong. Thats kinda how you have to think reading the questions on the test.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:12 PM

Default hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by device
Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlessdreams
i worked for Scientek Hospital and Laboratory Equuip in Richmond, and Northwestern Systems Corp. also s/s lab equipment in Vancouver (Annicis island). ive also just recently came from Edmonton where i worked a 6 month contract for Linzen-Stainless Dreams, where abouts on the island you open up your stainless shop?are you doing commercial kitchen?
i am located in Duncan.and yes commercial kitchens are my cake..also do hospital equipment..
Wow this really is a small world, been out of Canada for some time now, but back in the "Day" I did quite a few kitchens just north of you from Nanaimo to Qualicum.
I'd say I did a lot of the kitchens built in that area in the early/mid nineties. So if you see some nice work it was mine, if it's shit it was somebody else.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:27 PM
Professional Member

Default hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by device
Quote:
i worked for Scientek Hospital and Laboratory Equuip in Richmond, and Northwestern Systems Corp. also s/s lab equipment in Vancouver (Annicis island). ive also just recently came from Edmonton where i worked a 6 month contract for Linzen-Stainless Dreams, where abouts on the island you open up your stainless shop?are you doing commercial kitchen?
i am located in Duncan.and yes commercial kitchens are my cake..also do hospital equipment..
Wow this really is a small world, been out of Canada for some time now, but back in the "Day" I did quite a few kitchens just north of you from Nanaimo to Qualicum.
I'd say I did a lot of the kitchens built in that area in the early/mid nineties. So if you see some nice work it was mine, if it's shit it was somebody else.
wow thats a real small world hey!I spent most of my time discovering the bad work that is out there!
but i do run across some real nice well put together stuff..but its rare..

who did you work for in qualicum and nanaimo?
cheers..
Old 11-29-2009, 07:47 PM

As far as my kitchen stuff up there I would just usually sub contract my-self. Biggest one I can think of off the top of my head was the old folks home on Long Lake in Nanaimo, Romeo's Pizza and batch of them in that end of town, Quality Foods in Comox. Regular job in those days was more in the mills,
blow-pipe, cladding, bunch of commercial stuff, stuff in the Nanaimo Hospital
Old 11-30-2009, 07:08 PM

just wondering what happen to stainlessdream?
Old 12-14-2009, 11:02 AM

im here(licking my wounds) i havent got my results back yet but am planning a rewrite anyways, the test was very hard, lots of things i have never seen before that werent in any textbooks, the time issue was the hardest part, if i had more time i think i would of done better, 120 questions, 3 hours, in the end i had 50 questions to go and 30 minutes left. i felt i was at a huge disadvantage only working in stainless steel fab shops my whole apprenticeship as the test is very heavy on hvac, i will post as many of the questions as i can remember soon on here...
Old 12-14-2009, 02:15 PM
Professional Member

Default masn

Quote:
im here(licking my wounds) i havent got my results back yet but am planning a rewrite anyways, the test was very hard, lots of things i have never seen before that werent in any textbooks, the time issue was the hardest part, if i had more time i think i would of done better, 120 questions, 3 hours, in the end i had 50 questions to go and 30 minutes left. i felt i was at a huge disadvantage only working in stainless steel fab shops my whole apprenticeship as the test is very heavy on hvac, i will post as many of the questions as i can remember soon on here...
i was afraid of that..i was @ a great disadvantage when i was apprenticing also..as i worked in a fab shop not hvac shop..but they do teach you well..i wished i had had some more experience in the hvac..but that came after i already had my ticket..
kinda learned to do hvac pretty much after it all..
Old 01-19-2010, 09:43 PM

i am about to write this test also. frankly, it scares the hell outta me. there is alot of content in the example questions they gave me that were never part of my job. fabbing and installing duct, i made it how they told me to, and i put where the print showed me it belonged. it was never my job to know friction losses, mixture temps or any of that stuff. i can do pattern layout, i can install duct acording to the print. i have produce coordinated mechanical dwgs from auto-cad. (10 yrs ago) even then, i drew what the engineer wanted, and what the spec book showed. i wish i had a resource to study from that could help. they told me i couldn't bring a calculator or a ductulator. i have a hard time believing that all the mechanics here in canada know all the stuff this test seems to expect me to know.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:05 PM
Professional Member

Default hm

ductilator whats that?
that cardboard tinbasher thingy?
bah hahaha
Old 01-26-2010, 11:02 PM

anyone from canada planning to write an exam ...i know the exam is really hard a lot of calculation and print reading to get the answer on the test...i know most of the question covered to the whole exam coz i wrote mind a year ago...i got all the study book that all you need to past the test...just email me want you need to know ...

Tags
canadian red seal, exam