sheet metal
Home | Library | Support | Forum Home Page

Go Back   The Sheet Metal Shop > Sheet Metal Forums > Sheet Metal Talk

Sheet Metal Talk
General discussion for fabrication and layout work. No advertising on forums, it will be deleted.

Share This Forum!  

Old 01-08-2017, 07:53 PM

Default Chicago Dreis & Crump break repair

I'm in the process of opening a sheet metal shop for my HVAC company. I came across a older Chicago Dreis & Crump model 818 break for a great price but it has two broken slot castings. Does anyone have any experience with repairing these? Do they need to be replaced with oringals? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:28 PM

I had a similar Chicago brake with one of the slot castings broken and badly repaired. I took the original casting, filled in the "u" for the pin with a chunk of wood and bondo. I sanded it all flat and sent it of to Catail foundry as pattern: http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/FoundrySources.ashx
I also added a build up of bondo on the "ways" to give me some material to machine. The casting came back in a few weeks, I machined the pin "u" slot and the sliding ways and it was just as good as the original. I believe the total cost was less than $35.00 including shipping and handling. It will cost some more if you do not have the capabilities to do your own machining, but if you have a buddy with a Bridgeport, it could cost a little as a six pack to have him do it for you. Please post a pic of the part you're talking about (I am guessing that I'm describing the correct one). If you have any more questions let me know.

MILO
Old 12-05-2017, 06:58 AM

Did you every get your parts repaired or replaced. I had 2 new ones made at a local machine shop. He could make another set for you.